Sunday, January 15, 2006

Save a life!

This weekend I went to a bone marrow drive for a little 2 year old boy named Joseph. His hope for survival is a bone marrow transplant. The way the community came together was amazing. As of yesterday 1,008 people were tested for their bone marrow to see if they were a match. The bake sale raised over 3,000 dollars. There were numerous volunteers, including children. I had like permanent goose bumps. It was overwhelming, so much so that I felt like I was on the verge of tears the entire time I was there. To see all the people, volunteers, children, and the donations.
Someone said to me you know that if you do that then you will be listed on the bone marrow registry, and that means that anyone could contact you for bone marrow. I said yeah I know that. But that means I have the opportunity to save someone's life. Isn't that amazing?
I heard about a woman who gave her bone marrow and saved a nine year old boy. Every year he sends her a mothers day card, and they get together for vacations. The boy is now fifteen.
I read another story in Readers Digest about a woman who needed a bone marrow transplant to live. There was one match. He decided to give her his bone marrow. After a year the patient can contact them. The woman wrote a thank you card to the man, and eventually they met. They fell in love and got married. Now tell me that, isn't the work of God! One match!!
Anyways I encourage you to get tested and go on the registry for bone marrow. You could help save a life. If you can't or don't want to please donate. A test costs 70.00.
To learn more about Joseph go to www.carepages.com and then "josephkrupski"

No comments: